Thursday 11 September 2014

Learning To Use the Subway / Trip to Happy Quilt

On my to do list for today was to learn how to use the subway system in Pyeongtaek, especially since one stop down from our apartment is the Happy Quilt store!  So while Ted was working this afternoon, a friend and I embarked on the short journey to walk to the subway station and attempt to learn how to get around!  First (and only planned) stop- Happy Quilt!

First, let me start off by sharing the local subway map--


--and in addition to all of these subway trains, there are actual trains coming in and out of the same station as well.  When I asked a Korean friend how to tell a subway from an actual train, she just told me to look at how the seats were set up--subway seats go along the sides, train seats go across in rows like a bus.  Easy enough!

After watching a short informational video on how to load money onto my T-money card (the reusable subway card), I felt fairly confident that we could do it.  I also memorized the name of the station that we needed to get off at, not to mention that it was only one stop, so as long as we got off the first time it stopped, no biggie, right?  

The walk to to subway was good.  Loaded money onto reusable card-check!  Then we started looking for the subway platform that we needed-a little bit more of a challenge since things are in Korean,  but not too bad since we knew the name of the station.  After waiting a few minutes, the subway came--yay!  On we went!

And then off we went on the first stop--only to our amazement that we were not at the right station!  Haha!  The train (as we later found out) that we had managed to get onto was the express train, that only comes once an hour!  Since it is the express one it only stops at larger stations!  Thank goodness that the only stop we missed was the one we needed.  So after some help from a nice older Korean couple, we were back in line for our correct train!

After arriving at our correct station, we followed the walking directions I  had saved on my phone to get to the Happy Quilt store from the subway station.  What a beautiful walk!  We were kind of on the edge of town to get to the store, so there were beautiful fields with produce growing and wildflowers.


After arriving at Happy Quilt, I found several more pieces of fabric to match the ones Ted and I bought last week (yes, I have been here less than two weeks and have already visiting the quilt store twice)! Here are some pictures of the Happy Quilt store.  They have almost all brand name fabrics (Riley Blake, Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman), and have fat quarters, 2 yard packs, and many bolts of wide width quilting fabrics.



Vera Bradley by the yard, anyone?  These are also wide width!



The outside of the Happy Quilt building.


And just a few more pictures of our walk back to the subway station...it was such a beautiful sunny day!



Our ride back to the apartment via the subway went very smoothly!  Grateful to my friend who was willing to brave the unknown subway system with me to fabric shop this afternoon!


Ted and I are headed to Seoul this weekend to stay until Wednesday (he has a course to attend at the base there)...I already have several recommendations for fabric markets to visit while he is in training.  ;)


Love,
Charlotte



2 comments:

  1. I am very interested to got to this Happy Quilt shop near Jije Station. I was planning to got there october 9th. 2017 and just found out that its a public holiday. Does anyone have the number of the store. I would like to contact them but i can only speak english
    Thank you very much
    maneesh
    maneeshbkk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to this store Last Octobre (2018). I was staying near Sindang station right in Seoul. I bought a whole suitcase full of fabric. The owners gave me a tour of all 4 warehouses and then gave me a ride back to the station. I also went to Dongdaemun fabric market a few times for silks and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete